Friday, February 18, 2011

The Help by Stockett

I'm currently listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett during my commute. I'm really enjoying the story and the narrators. This is one of those stories that make me enjoy a traffic jam because it means I get more time to listen!

For those of you who haven't read the book, the plot concerns a newly graduated young white woman who wishes to be a journalist and begins to become more disturbed by the treatment of black family maids in 1963 Jackson, Mississippi. She plans to write a book about these maid's stories and gets help from two middle-aged maids. The book is told from the point of view of the three main characters: Skeeter Feelan, Aibileen and Minny. It is a sympathetic portrayal, and the book has been controversial even now in the Southern United States.

I haven't finished the book yet and I was surprised to see that Stockett is being sued by her brother's long time maid for unlawful use of her story. I'm not sure what will happen with the lawsuit. It does bring to mind thoughts about what constitutes fiction and where does the line begin when you are basing a fictional tale on real life events? Is The Help's maid Aibileen Clark, based closely on the life of the actual maid Ablene Cooper, who is suing Stockett? It would seem so at first glance. Is it appropriate for an author to base  character on a living person and how close can you get?

How much information realistically can be "changed to protect the identity" of the person on which the story is based? This question is one that is central to Stockett's book. While listening, I can't help but think that there isn't a way that Skeeter could change enough the names of these maids and the circumstances these women describe. Their identities will surely come out in the end, and that promises to cause upset and grief for all involved. I guess I'll find out next week during my commute!

Regardless of the personal drama unfolding in Ablene Cooper and Kathryn Stockett's lives, the book is a good read and especially good to discuss with your friends and book group members. Let me know what you think!

P.S. Here are some links to the controversies surrounding this book.

The Help: Kathryn Stockett's Controversial Hit

Racial Insults and Quiet Bravery in 1960s Mississippi

A Maid Sees Herself in a Novel, and Objects

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I've seen this book around, but it hasn't been on my list "to read." You've peaked my interest, and I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the posting. Keep up the good work on the blog.

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New York Times article brings up a good point about the timing of the lawsuit against the author. Many other authors, like J.K. Rowling with her Harry Potter series, have faced similar allegations. It is not until the books are wildly popular (and therefore must be making lots of money) that these lawsuits are raised. I am not discounting Ablene Cooper's claims, because they sound pretty legitimate to me, but it must be hard to argue these cases because the line is so blurry between fact and fiction.

    Everyone who has read the book has enjoyed it,and it is important to read books that challenge a person and their beliefs so this book, because of its content and the surrounding controversies must do that. After reading the review, I have requested the audiobook version so I can finally read( well, listen to) it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to the audio and I think that the narration was terrific! I know one of the criticisms Stockett received was about the audacity she had as a white woman to write in a black woman's voice. Listening to the audio somewhat mitigates this criticism. The 3 narrator's accents seemed authentic--as a matter of fact, I pick up accents quite quickly and it was difficult of me not to inject a bit of the south in my words! :)

    I'm glad you're interested in listening to it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete